Recipients of the 2012 "DISTINGUISHED PROFESSIONAL ANIMAL SCIENTIST AWARD" are:
• Dr. Leonard S. Bull – President 1988-1989
• Dr. Vernon G. Pursel – deceased, officer, Washington, DC Chapter of ARPAS
• Dr. Raymond G. Hinders – deceased, ARPAS Governing Council, ADSA Director 2006-2011
The ARPAS Distinguished Professional Animal Scientist award is bestowed annually on one or more emeritus members of ARPAS that have made significant contributions to the Animal Sciences during their active career and served in a leadership position within ARPAS.
Nominations may be made by any member of ARPAS.
Final selection will be made by the ARPAS Executive Committee with conformation from the ARPAS Governing Council. The number of awards each year will not exceed 0.2% of the total ARPAS membership.
Recipients of this award will be recognized with an article in the Newsletter and the PAS Journal and with a tribute at our annual meeting. A suitable award will be presented to them on this occasion. They will also be granted lifetime membership in ARPAS with emeritus privilege.
The selection criteria are:
1. Must have been an active member of ARPAS for at least ten (10) years prior to retirement from active membership.
2. Must have served in a leadership role in ARPAS during their active membership. Leadership positions are defined as officers, directors, representatives and committee members at the national or chapter level.
3. Must have made a significant contribution to the Animal Sciences through teaching, research, service or industry during their active professional career.
4. Must have acquired Emeritus membership in ARPAS and maintained this status for a minimum of three (3) years.